Smoking is a habit that most adults cannot live without, and unfortunately, it creates a series of problems for oral health. Certainly, this topic is even more sensitive for people who have or plan to have dental implants. Why? Find out from the following information.
- Smoking weakens the health of the gums – it is well-known that dental implant surgery requires intervention in bone formation and gums. If you are an avid smoker, you are probably familiar with frequent bleeding, and because of gum problems, the preoperative stage takes longer. The patient will get a medical prescription to remedy gingivitis, or in some cases, to treat the dental abscess. Knowing this, it is appropriate to take care of your oral health in advance, changing the toothpaste with one that considerably improves the condition of the gums, and also you need to intensify the oral hygiene routine.
- Nicotine influences calcium retention, and as a result, the bones may become weak. In the case of dental implant surgery, the connection between the implant and the bone is fundamental. For this reason, a weakened bone can cause damage, and you could lose your dental construction in time. Therefore, when you decide to have this procedure, start taking a calcium supplement, opt in favor of nicotine-free cigarettes or stop smoking at least for a while.
- Healing in the postoperative period takes place more slowly – because of the harmful effects of nicotine, the oral health is damaged, which is why dental treatment and recovery will take time. Also, keep in mind that blood circulation is affected for smokers, and regeneration takes place much slower.
- Smoking affects the salivary glands, and they cannot completely fulfill their functions to protect the gums and enamel. Besides, the protective barrier against bacteria decreases considerably, which can lead to postoperative infections.
- Smoking facilitates the forming of tartar on the teeth adjacent to the dental implant, so you must pay close attention to oral hygiene: the right toothpaste for you, mouthwash, and dental floss will be essential in this process. Additionally, it is necessary to go to the dentist for regular dental descaling procedures to remove in-depth the stone deposits from the tooth enamel.
All these negative effects of smoking can be radically reduced, either by quitting smoking altogether or adopting correct dental hygiene practices before and after dental implant surgery. At the Imperial Dent clinic, the specialists are ready to provide you with all the necessary information and will personalize your treatment before the dental implant surgery. Do not postpone, call us now and take all the measures to restore your dental health.
Imperial Dent – have a healthy smile!