Periodontal disease is a chronic condition that manifests itself through damage to the structures that support and fix the teeth to the bone. This is caused by an imbalance in the bacterial species in the oral cavity and can lead to severe problems. It is one of the major causes of tooth loss, which can compromise chewing, aesthetics, self-confidence and quality of life.
Periodontitis is present in approximately 40% of adults. In elderly patients, the incidence is higher than in young patients. Although it is mainly found in adults, periodontitis can also occur in children and young people. In adults, approximately 70% of tooth loss is caused by periodontal disease.
Causes of periodontitis
Dentists considers the following factors to be the main causes of periodontal disease:
- insufficient/incorrect cleaning of the teeth;
- hormonal changes, for example, during pregnancy, menopause, puberty;
- smoking, which destroys the gum tissue;
- diseases that affect immunity (HIV, cancer, diabetes);
- reduced immunity as a result of a serious illness;
- an unhealthy diet, which is accompanied by a lack of vitamins and minerals;
- long-term administration of drugs that reduce saliva production.
What is the treatment for periodontal issues
„Can I fix my teeth with periodontal disease?” is a frequent question asked by patients. As a rule, periodontal treatment is established taking into account the degree of inflammation and damage to bone tissue, and the depth of periodontal pockets. The doctor will be able to assess the real situation after an examination of the oral cavity of the patient with periodontitis. After that, the patient will be directed to do an orthopantomography. The X-ray will allow the doctor to determine how affected the periodontal tissues are and to prescribe an appropriate treatment for the given case.
Only after the X-ray, the cleaning of the dental plaque above and below the gums that forms due to insufficient cleaning of the teeth will be carried out. If the plaque is not removed, then the periodontitis treatment will be ineffective. Ultrasonic cleaning remains the best method for treatment.
The next stage of treatment is therapy, which usually lasts 7-10 days. Usual mouth rinses with antiseptic agents are prescribed.
- brushing teeth after breakfast and dinner for 3-4 minutes with a suitable brush recommended by the doctor. In the case of periodontitis, the cleaning must be particularly meticulous. It is very important to make the right movements with the toothbrush!
- cleaning each interdental space with dental floss;
- obligatory use of oral irrigator;
- mouth rinse with chlorhexidine (concentration 0.05%);
- you can eat only after 2 hours after brushing your teeth.
Can a periodontitis gum disease be cured?
It is important to understand that the given treatment is indicated only in the mild stages of the disease. When you have advanced periodontitis, you will need to take antibiotics for 7-10 days. Your doctor will prescribe pills or intramuscular injections.
If your teeth are loose when you have periodontitis, treatment should be started immediately. In this case, sometimes the teeth are fixed by the dentist, this reduces their mobility, and stops their divergence. If the mobility is high, the affected teeth will need to be extracted.
A timely treatment means saving time, financial resources, and nerves. This truth must be the basis of the decision to treat gingivitis, for an enviable oral health. It is important to prepare yourself psychologically and choose the right dental clinic in Chisinau to get a beautiful smile and healthy teeth.