Oral candidiasis is a fungal disease caused by the growth of fungi in the Candida family in the mouth or throat. The main reason for the occurrence of oral candidiasis is the decrease in immunity. With the immune weakening, this type of fungi is activated, incorporated into the mucous membrane, causing the symptoms to appear – pain, dry mouth, burning sensation during mastication. Symptoms of candidiasis appear on cheeks, tongue or pharynx as a white spot, inflammation or redness. Taste disturbances are observed, such as a metallic post-taste, ugly odor. Ignored for a long time, candidosis can facilitate the development of parallel infections, so a visit to the dentist is mandatory even since the first symptoms appear.
What are the risk factors?
- Harmful habits such as alcohol and smoking;
- Pregnancy – based on hormonal background changes, metabolism, immune reduction;
- Long-term use of medicines, such as antibiotics, immunosuppressive drugs;
- Lesions of the mucous membranes when using dentures;
- Somatic diseases such as tuberculosis, dysbacteriosis, diabetes, HIV infection.
To prevent this disease, it is necessary to:
- Visit your dentist regularly to properly disinfect the oral cavity;
- Take care of oral hygiene, brush teeth and tongue surface, including using dental floss;
- Take care of detachable prostheses by treating them with special preparations;
- Discard bad habits and choose a healthy lifestyle;
- Choose the right diet.
Methods of treatment:
Medicines – imidazole;
Naturalist – sodium bicarbonate, apple vinegar, natural yogurt, lemon, tea tree oil, myrrh, herbal teas, herbs, garlic, oregano, lemon, coconut oil, probiotics. When the first signs of candidiasis occur, immediately consult a dentist, because the infection can increase and migrate to the esophagus and internal organs. Your doctor will recommend the most appropriate treatment method. You now benefit from a free personalized consultation in Chisinau, anytime from Monday to Sunday, from 8:00 to 21:00.